The general area where Osmania University is located is called Tarnaka. ‘Arts College’ (University College of Arts and Social Sciences) is the best known landmark on the university campus. The Office of the University Foreign Relations Office is situated diagonally opposite to the University College of Engineering in the University Campus.
How to reach Osmania University:
- Osmania University campus is about 8-10 kms from the two major inter-city and inter-state bus stations—Mahatma Gandhi Bus Station (MGBS, Hyderabad; earlier known as Imlibun bus stand) and Jubilee Bus Station (JBS, Secunderabad).
- The campus is about 8-10 kms also from both Secunderabad and Hyderabad Railway Stations.
- From either of the railway stations, and from the bus stations, it should cost Rs 40-50 by a three-wheeler (auto-rickshaw or auto, as it is called in Hyderabad). The autos are metered, take a maximum of three passengers and are fairly reliable. There are police-manned auto-rickshaw stands at both the railway stations.
- OU is about 40 kms from the airport (the new Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, Shamshabad). UFRO, O.U. is about 1 km distance from the main land mark of Osmania University called Arts College (University College of Arts and Social Sciences)
- From the airport you can hire (from just outside the terminal building) metered, air-conditioned radio cabs @ Rs 10-15 per km (to OU Rs 500 approx).
- Easy Cabs: (Logan) – (040-4343-4343) – officially approved by the Airport (Rs 15 per/km)
- Meru Cabs: (Logan) – (040-4422-4422) – officially approved by the Airport (Rs 15 per/km)
- Dot Cabs: (Innova) – (040-2424-2424) (Rs 15 per/km)
- Yellow Taxi: (Indica) – (040-4400-4400) (Rs 12 per/km)
- Green Cab: (Maruti 800) – (040-2460 6060) (Rs 10 per/km)
Alternatively, you can utilize the service of Pushpak, the Airport Liner, the details of which are given below
Pushpak – Airport Liner is a luxurious express bus service from airport to important destinations in the city. Pushpak buses are operated by Telangana State Road Transport Corporation (“TSRTC”). These are air-conditioned low floor buses offering safe, secure and comfortable travel between airport and city. The students must verify the timings and the availabilty of the service with TSRTC on their website.
Pickup points in city
- Secunderabad (Near Keyes high school)
- Tarnaka (Note: Osmania University Foreign Relations Office is situated very close to Tarnaka)
- LB Nagar
- AC Guards
- Rethi Bowli (Mehdipatnam)
- R. Nagar
- Paryataka Bhavan
- Pension Office (Banjara Hills Road No.1)
- JNTU (Kukatpally)
- Shilparamam (Hi-Tech City)
- Gachibowli (ORR)
- SECUNDERABAD – RGIA (VIA: L.B. Nagar, Pahadi Shareef)
- SECUNDERABAD – RGIA (VIA: Secretariat, AC Guards)
- JNTU TO RGIA (VIA:- Malaysian Township)
- SR NAGAR TO RGIA (VIA:- AC Guards, Mehdipatnam)
- RGIA – SECUNDERABAD (VIA: Pahadi Shareef, L.B. Nagar)
- RGIA – SECUNDERABAD (VIA: Secretariat,AC Guards)
- RGIA TO JNTU (VIA:- Alwyn X Rd)
- RGIA TO SR NAGAR (VIA:- Mehdipatnam, AC Guards)
Reception at Airport
Generally, the students reach Hyderabad and Osmania University on their own. The respective Country’s /region’s student organizations also receive them at the airport. If any special request is received, the UFRO will make necessary arrangements to receive them at the Airport. However, the ICCR, Hyderabad will receive all the ICCR scholars at the Airport.
Transit accommodation is available at the University Guest House/International Students Hostel for two to three days for any foreign student who is desirous of seeking temporary accommodation prior to taking permanent accommodation.
Permanent Accommodation Options
Houses/flats are available for permanent accommodation for foreign students closer to the campus of Osmania University at D.D. Colony, Vidyanagar, Sitaphalmandi, Tarnaka, Habsiguda, Amberpet, Uppal, Ramanthapur etc. There are accommodations are available closer to many of the Constituent/Affiliated Colleges under the jurisdiction of Osmania University. Some places for example are Basheerbagh, Tolichowki, Masab Tank, Marredpally, Sainikpuri etc.
Availability of Hostel Facility
The International Students’ Hostel (ISH) is established by Osmania University in 2012, to provide lodging facilities to the eligible International male PG & Ph.D. students of Campus & Constituent Colleges of Osmania University. It is situated in a place called Tarnaka, closer to the campus of Osmania University. The hostel has a capacity to accommodate 172 foreign students. There are two-seater rooms and three-seater rooms available in the International Students Hostel (ISH). All seats are available for occupancy in the ensuing admissions for the academic year 2013-14.
The State Bank of Hyderabad, Osmania University Branch, is housed in the ground floor of the Arts College building. It has extension counters at the Centre for Distance Education, Examination Branch, University College of Engineering and EFLU. All fee transactions pertaining to Osmania University have to be made through this bank. Since the Engineering College Extension Counter is situated very close to the office of UFRO, O.U. all the bank transactions have to be made in this branch. The bank functions from 10-30 a.m. to 2-30 p.m. every working day.
Osmania University post office is located towards the north of the Arts College. Its front elevation is a reflection of the Arts College building. It has the usual mailing and other facilities including registration, sale of stamps, speed post, money order, saving bank etc. It functions from 9-00 a.m. to 6-00 p.m. on all working days. Another sub-post office is also located near the Academic Staff College, Osmania University.
The University Health Centre offers free out-patient medical treatment to students, staff and their families. There are specialists attached to the Centre who offer expert medical advice. The Health Centre situated in the University’s main campus, is located near the B-Hostel building. It is open from 9-00 a.m. to 12-00 noon and 4-00 p.m. to 6-00 p.m. on all working days. The Chief Medical Officer, assisted by a team of competent doctors, heads it. Staff and students receive only out-patient treatment at this Centre. Besides this, each of the Constituent Colleges has its own Health Centre located within its premises.